Haryana Civil Services (HCS) are the steel pillars of the governance of the State. These services are highly competitive & challenging. HPSC (Haryana Public Service Commission) is day by day changing the trends of the examination to augment itself with better tools to filter off intelligentsia to better suit its job requirements. So the need is to tighten the screws at the right moment so as to cross the ambient cut offs laid by HPSC.
Haryana Civil Services Exam Pattern & Syllabus
I. Age Limit:
The candidate should not be less than 21 years and not more than 40 years of age.
II. Age Relaxation:Upper age limit is relaxable upto five years for the candidates belonging to the following categories:-
(a) Scheduled Castes, Backward Classes, Special Backward Classes and Economically Backward Persons (General Category) of Haryana only.
(b) Un-married female candidates of Haryana State only.
(c) Employees of Haryana Government (excluding ad-hoc capacity) of Punjab and Haryana High Court or any Court subordinate to it in the state of Haryana with four years of service in substantive or officiating capacity subject to a limit of three chances in addition to those which he might have availed within prescribed age limit. The Employees of the Boards/ Corporations/ Universities/ Banks etc. are not eligible for this concession in upper age limit.
(d) Women whose husbands have been ordered by civil/criminal courts to pay maintenance to them; women whose husbands have remarried; widows; women who are legally separated from their husbands or have been divorced; women living separately from their husbands for more than two years because of desertion; wives of serving disabled military personnel and widows of those who were killed in action. Women living separately from their husbands due to desertion will be required to submit with their application an affidavit to the effect that she has been deserted by her husband, and has been living separately from him for more than two years and this affidavit should be countersigned by two responsible persons such as members of the Legislature, Local Bodies including Panchayats and the Bar Association. However, where a woman who has re-married, she would not be eligible for the above concession in the matter of age.
i. Age relaxation for PH candidates of Haryana:- Upper age limit is relaxable for PH category candidates of Haryana by 10 years (15 years for SCs / BCs of Haryana).
ii. Further the upper age relaxation is as under:-
(a) Upper age limit is also relaxable for an ex-military person whether he joined military service before or after the declaration of emergency to the extent of his military service added by three years provided he had rendered continuous military service for a period of not less than six months before his release and further provided that he had been released otherwise than by way of dismissal or discharge on account of misconduct or inefficiency.
(b) The persons recruited from 01-01-1963 onwards as whole time Cadet Instructors in the N.C.C. and who are released after the expiry of their initial/extended tenure will also be entitled for relaxation in age limit for purpose of employment under the State Government.
(c) It is made clear that the dependent of ESM candidates will be considered as General Category candidates for all intents and purposes.
(d) Reservation for Freedom Fighters & their children / grand children of Haryana:-
The reservation will be available only if quota reserved for Ex-servicemen or Backward Classes remains unfilled to that extend due to non-availability of suitable Ex-servicemen or their dependents or non-availability of suitable candidates from Backward Classes. Over all reservation either from the unfilled vacancies of Ex-servicemen or from the Backward Classes for Freedom Fighters / their children / grand children will remain limited to 2% only. This benefit will be available to all grand children i.e. sons and daughter of sons and daughters (parental as well as maternal) of the Freedom Fighters.
II. Educational Qualification: Candidates must possess Degree of a recognized University of Bachelor of Arts/Science/Commerce or an equivalent degree of a recognized University.
HPSC Exam Pattern 2017
HPSC exam covers two sections:
- Preliminary Examination
- Main Examination
Preliminary Examination Pattern:
|Paper I||General Studies||100||2 hours|
|Paper II||One optional subject||100||2 hours|
Main Examination Pattern:
|Paper III||General Studies||100|
|Paper IV||Two optional subjects||300|
- English and English Essay (100 marks)
- Hindi and Hindi Essay (100 marks)
- General Knowledge (100 marks)
Syllabus for HPSC Compulsory Subjects
1. English and English Essay
- Questions to test the candidate's capacity to understand and write good English.
- The paper will comprise precis writing expansion, tests in vocabulary and any other form of composition that may be suitable
2. Hindi and Hindi Essay (in Devnagri Script):
- Translation of an English passage into Hindi.
- Explanation of Hindi passage into prose & poetry in the same language.
- Composition (idioms, corrections etc)
3. General Knowledge including Everyday Science:
- This paper is intended to test the candidate's knowledge of current events and of such matters of every day observation and experience in their scientist aspect as may be expected of an educated person who has not made a special study of any scientific subject.
- The paper will also include questions of historical, geographical and economic importance, with special reference to Haryana.
- The Viva-voce will be to test the personal qualities of the candidate. This test will be in matters of general interest and is intended to test the candidate's alertness, intelligence and general outlook.
- Consideration will also be paid to the bearing and physique of the candidate. It will be conducted either in Hindi or in English depending upon the option exercised by a candidate.